MEDICAL SCI-FI TECHNOLOGY
The medical world is being transformed by the miracle of stem cell technology in growing new body parts, healing complex wounds, and curing certain degenerative diseases (including Alzheimer’s and Diabetes). Numerous medical procedures are harnessing the value of these minute cells in major breakthroughs that most of us have possibly only seen in block buster sci-fi movies. Growing new tissues (such as lifesaving veins) and treating spinal cord injuries are already being used today. This is significant for the future of tissue engineering and modern medicine. The ability to use our own stem cells to re-grow tissue and organs is a clear medical breakthrough.
Regenerative medicine has always fascinated me and therefore over the past few years I have used the science of stem cells to enhance my surgical and non-surgical results in my own Plastic Surgery and Aesthetic Couture practice.
STEMCELLS: WHAT ARE THEY and WHAT DO THEY DO?
You have possibly heard of stem cell technology in the news but have not totally appreciated what stem cells can do for you…
Stem cell are the body’s “Master Cells”; these are cells from which all other specialised cells are generated. Each generated cell will have a specific function (e.g. heart muscle cells, brain cells, blood cells and even skin cells). These cells are like planting seeds and allowing them to generate into a multitude of plants depending on the situation and the environment. No other cell in the body has the natural ability to generate new cell types and replace damaged cells.
The value of these magical regenerative cells is that they are able to repair diseased or damaged tissues. Can you therefore imagine what your skin would look like and how the signs of aging and sun damage can be reversed when “planting“ your own stem cells under your skin and allowing them to regenerate into various healthy skin cells?
Research on stem cells continues to advance knowledge about how an organism develops from a single cell and how healthy cells replace damaged cells in adult organisms. Stem cell research is one of the most fascinating areas of contemporary biology.
WHERE DO STEMCELLS COME FROM?
Researchers have discovered several sources of stem cells:
- Embryonic stem cells.These stem cells are derived from embryos that are three to five days old. These cells are used in many medical conditions , however they are complex to use in most practices.
- Adult stem cells.These stem cells are derived from fat and bone. Research has shown that the number of stem cells in adipose tissue is 4x more than the stem cells in bone marrow. In my practice most patients are happy to “donate “ some unwanted fatty deposits to deliver their “fountain of youth “ stem cells in facial rejuvenation.
WHAT RESULTS CAN BE EXPECTED FROM SKIN STEMCELL THERAPY?
A recent study finds that within a few weeks, stem cell treatment eliminates the sun-damaged elastin network in the deeper skin layers and replaces them with normal, undamaged tissues and structures. I.e. the “master cells” rebuild and repair the skin’s normal elastin network which results in rejuvenated, youthful skin. Facial rejuvenation can be seen for up to 18 months after the procedure. This is possible due to stem cells having the amazing ability to recognize and repair damaged tissue.
SO WHAT IS A STEMCELL FACELIFT?
Have you ever thought of “growing“ a new face? I think we all at some point in our lives realize that we have not treated our skins as well as we could have and would give anything to turn back the clock, to give our cells a “second“ chance.
Facial deflation always precedes facial sagging and therefore many facial antiaging treatments are focussed on replenishing the facial volume. Traditionally, temporary dermal fillers have been used to restore lost volume and improve facial contours. Recently, however, the “new kid on the block” is the stem cell facelift. Here, the healing powers of your own stem cells are used as an alternative to dermal fillers. Harvesting your “master cells” from your unwanted fatty deposits around the abdomen, love handles, or knees is the source of your natural “non-surgical “stem cell facelift.
- Remove unwanted fat (win!)
- Repair sun damaged skin by improving blood supply and replacing elastin network (BIGGER WIN!)
WHAT ARE THE RESULTS OF A STEMCELL FACE LIFT?
I love seeing the power of a stem cell facelift a few months after the treatment; skin “grows” healthier by the day with a decrease in lines and wrinkles, improved skin tone and texture and resulting in a youthful more vibrant glow of the skin as well as improved contour and shape of the face resulting in overall lift and facial rejuvenation.
No age limit applies! INTERESTING FACT: “Aging of the skin starts at the age of 28-30 years. The reason is that connective tissues and fibroblast cells generating collagen start to die by 2% each year. Assuming that it starts in our 30’s, by the time we reach 40, we will have list 20% of the fibroblast cells in our skin, which means we have lost 20% of our connective tissues. These cells are responsible to keep our skin uplifted and results in a youthful skin quality.
The stem cell facelift is ideal if you:
- have early or mild signs of facial aging (skin laxity and sagging) and you are wanting to rejuvenate your skin without going under the knife.
- require a more defined facial profile including well-proportioned cheekbones and brows
- want to reduce lines and bags under the eyes (Eyelight 360)
- want to reduce wrinkles and lines with improved skin tone and texture
- have thinning, wrinkled lips
- struggling with acne scarring
TO WHICH REGIONS CAN STEM CELLS BE APPLIED?
- Face: It provides rejuvenation by removing wrinkles and lines, skin laxity due to decreased collagen and elastin fibres associated with aging as well as spots and acne scars.
- Neck, Jowl and Cleavage: It treats wrinkles, sagging and spots in this area due to aging related loss of skin and subcutaneous tissue.
- Hands: It removes vascular appearance and spotting, which result from decreased subcutaneous tissue and skin laxity over time.
TECHNIQUES AND PROTOCOL OF A STEMCELL FACELIFT
The facial rejuvenation procedure with stem cells is very simple and can be performed under local anaesthesia. It’s fast, mostly free of pain or discomfort, and does not require hospital visits.
During the process, liposuction is used on belly fat or other areas of fat to gently remove stem cells. Stem cells are then isolated, and then injected into the face. The power of stem cells improves skin, tightens it and makes wrinkles disappear.
The procedure does not only involve injecting stem cells into specific areas of the face, chin lips, neck or hands, but also allows for facial sculpting or fat removal from specific areas to get a facial contour specifically designed to fit the needs of each patient.
Over the past 20 years, I have developed my signature Stemcell4DLift which combines 4 techniques in one procedure, all working in synergy to achieve optimal results:
- Fat Grafts are precisely placed to stimulate Myomodulation i.e. strengthening of the deeper facial muscles and restoration of facial volume.
- ADSC (adipose derived stem cells) in the form of nano fat for skin regeneration from within.
- PRP (platelet rich plasma) enhances the stem cell rejuvenation
- CO2RE Fractional Co2 Laser Skin Resurfacing
HOW MUCH WILL STEM CELL THERAPY COST?
Cost depends on the scope and complexity of the condition being treated. For an estimate quotation all clients should start by having a full facial analysis and consultation with one of our aesthetic physicians to decide on the most suitable stem cell therapy treatments options.
“INVEST IN YOUR FUTURE, INVEST IN YOUR SKIN AND THE MIRACLE OF STEMCELLS BECAUSE YOUR SKIN IS GOING TO REPRESENT YOU FOR A VERY LONG TIME. “